Monday, June 4, 2012

Sickness and Health: June 3rd

What a weekend! I went to bed on Friday night (after writing my blog) around 11:45 p.m. I woke up at 12:30 a.m. and became violently ill. I’m not sure what kind of bug I had but I haven’t been that sick in a long time. From around 12:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. I was awake with a high fever and a horrible stomach bug. I couldn’t keep anything down and my stomach physically hurt. I was quite miserable. Luckily, I had the best nurses ever (my fellow volunteersJ) they pushed fluids on me…did my laundry so I could have clean clothes to wear…and checked on me constantly. They hugged me and made me smile even though I felt like I was dying ha! I still really missed my mom and home though. I caved and texted my mom early in the morning on Saturday and told her how awful I felt…I feel bad because I probably worried her too much but it felt good to talk to her. It doesn’t matter how old I am…when I feel that sick I will probably always want my mom. Thankfully, I was able to sleep for a few hours in the afternoon and my fever broke in the evening. One of my sweet friends made me a little macaroni and cheese which I actually was able to keep down around 9:00 p.m. on Sunday. I don’t feel 100% today but I feel much better than I did yesterday. It is like night and day. I know I’m still dehydrated though so I’m trying to drink twice as much water and I haven’t been eating too much…trying to take it easy for awhile. I kind of over did it today I think but it was the last day for one of my friends here so I really wanted to spend lots of time with her and the rest of the volunteers. I can take it a little easier tomorrow. I’m excited to see my kids though because I didn’t get to see any of them on Saturday and today I only got to see one.

This brings me to the highlight of my day…after church we were hanging out at the main house and we went up to the balcony to get pictures for Hope (the volunteer who is leaving tomorrow morning). I didn’t feel 100% up to getting my kiddos out (it was SUCH a hot day and I didn’t know if chasing around a little one was really the best idea for me J) but one of the other volunteers randomly decided to bring my little guy up who I have been working on walking with. He was of course thrilled to be up on the balcony and when he saw me he stuck out his hand (it is like his special greeting he does with me whenever I come to pick him up out of his crib) and got the biggest grin on his face. He reached for me so the other volunteer just put him down on his feet (she thought he was a walker) and the most amazing thing happened. He WALKED to me…like it was no big deal at all he toddled across the room to me. My arms were wide open for him but I almost didn’t believe that he had done it. Suddenly we were all shrieking and screaming with excitement…he had finally taken his first legitimate steps and gotten to a specific destination ME. I was so deeply touched…my eyes welled up and I started to cry ha! My little guy not only recognized me on the balcony but he wanted me to hold him so much that he WALKED! I totally understand why mothers cry when their kids reach developmental milestones. It was such an amazing moment. I still can’t get over it. He also made us all clap and laugh later in the afternoon when he blew kisses for the first time. I have been trying to get him to do it all week and then all of a sudden this afternoon he does it to me and all the girls out of nowhere! This little man is absolutely incredible…I love him so much! I didn’t think he could steal my heart any more than he already had…but boy was I wrong. He really helped me feel even better today! What a blessing. Love and miss you all!


No comments:

Post a Comment