Monday, June 18, 2012

Where Has the Time Gone?: June 15th

This week has just flown by! I can’t believe it is already Friday…it seems like there is some type of time warp here in Haiti. It feels like forever since I first got to GLA but at the same time I feel like I haven’t been here with my kiddos for longer than a few days. It’s really strange. Tuesday of this week, two of my favorite volunteers (and friends), left GLA and it was a hard day. I never thought I would come here and get so attached to not only the kiddos but the other people serving here as well. I miss them dearly but I feel so blessed to have met them and spent almost 3 weeks with them. I can’t wait to go to Canada and visit them soon :)
Anyways, my kiddos have been wonderful this week! They are thriving and I’m consciously soaking up every minute I have with them because I know that my time here at GLA is quickly coming to an end. We spend our days playing, giggling, and cuddling and I wouldn’t have it any other way. I miss them like crazy when we leave for home (at the Toddler house) at night. I haven’t been blogging as much this week because almost every night after dinner instead of getting on the computer I have been going up to the nurseries and playing with the kiddos in their pajamas before bed. It’s probably become one of my favorite parts of the day ha! I can’t even explain how cute they are in their jammies and they are all clean and smell good. I would literally spend all night in there if I could but I think the nannies would kick me out! I literally go from crib to crib and tickle, kiss, and cuddle the kids. It’s so fun and they are all laughing and standing up in their cribs waiting for their turn. They all blow kisses so before I leave I blow kisses to all of them and they do it to me too…it completely melts my heart. I really don’t like leaving the nurseries at night but I know that they have to go to bed at some point and I’m sure I wind them up so I try not to stay too late. I know I’ve said it a million times before…but the children here at GLA are beautiful, incredible, and SO loving. It is heartbreaking that their parents are unable to provide for them because I’m sure their deepest desire is to have them home with them and to love them the way they deserve to be loved. I know that God has a plan for each of these kiddos though. It amazes me when I think that even though I feel more love for these kids than I ever knew was possible…God loves them way more…more than any human could ever comprehend. They will never be alone or unloved because He will always be there with them…such a comforting truth.

Tonight I found out there is a satellite phone here at GLA and everyone was calling home so I decided I would too. It was really fun to talk to my family…I do miss them very much! It is crazy to think that next week is my last full week with my kiddos. I have such mixed feelings about going home. I miss my family and friends at home but I’ve become really comfortable here. Leaving my kiddos here will probably be one of the hardest things I’ve ever had to do. I don’t know what I will do without my hugs and kisses from them and I don’t know how my heart will feel when I can’t see their smiling faces every day. They mean more to me than I ever thought was possible. I know my heart will ache for them every day when I am home but I’m so thankful to be leaving them at GLA because I know they will be well cared for. Just thinking about leaving makes my heart hurt and my eyes well up…oh my! I’m glad I still have another week with the kids and the other volunteers. Every day I find another child here than I connect with and attach to and each evening I grow closer to my fellow volunteers. It is wonderful! I am excited to see everyone though when I get home…hopefully you will want to see my pictures and hear more stories in person! I’m praying for all of you at home and I hope you all have a good weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment