Monday, June 4, 2012

New Friends and Goodbyes: June 1st

It has been a busy and fun week here at GLA! Sorry I haven’t updated in a few days…I’ve been having a great time and my days are so filled that I sometimes find it hard to sit down at my computer. Today we said goodbye to the adoptive mother (and her friends) that we met at the beginning of the week. It is amazing how well you can get to know someone when you spend 9 hours a day with them for a week! We were all so sad to see her leave but it was a joy to have met her and hear her story. I cannot imagine how hard it must have been for her to leave GLA and back to the states...knowing her baby girl will not be able to come home with her for another 6-12 months. Seeing her say goodbye to her baby and cry as she was leaving was an extremely emotional moment for all of us volunteers. Her story will have a happy ending though…we are all praying the adoption process is quick and she will be taking her sweet girl home before Christmas! It is amazing how emotional this journey has been already…I feel God moving in my heart here so much more than anywhere else I have ever been.

Another exciting part of this week is the friendships that I have begun to develop with the other volunteers here. I’m starting to feel very comfortable with them and the more I get to know them the more I love them! They are extremely inspirational women and being around them lifts me up so much. As I have begun to get to know them and bond with them, I realize again how wonderful and perfect God’s plan for my life is. He put Haiti/GLA on my heart and He brought these women here at the exact same time as well. It is no accident that we connect so deeply and that they model excellent discipleship for me. God intended for this to happen…He knew my need for strong Christian friendship and He provided, knowing they would help me grow in my faith. CRAZY AMAZING! It blows my mind. I sat up talking with two of the girls tonight for a few hours about faith and trusting God…they are so wise and it was one of the best conversations I have had ever. They prayed over me before we went to bed and I cried so hard because of how touching their words were and how grateful I am for God’s love. I know He loves me and He is jealous for me. He is definitely using this trip to draw me closer to Him.

Anyways, I really wish that I could bring these girls home with me…I know that we will always be connected by this incredible experience and the short but special time we have spent together…but I am still incredibly sad to say that all four of these wonderful ladies will be leaving by the end of this next week. So I plan on spending most of my nights bonding with them and soaking up their love for God and their knowledge of Him. It will be a rough and emotional week for me as I say goodbye to them…but I know it will only be a temporary goodbye! Please say a prayer for them as they travel. Love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment